crosses in their original form, in manuscripts, present three colors intertwined:
green, yellow, and red. Green represents Life that the Orthodox people
receive from the Cross. Yellow represents the radiance and glory that
Christ renewed in humanity. Red represents the precious Blood that purifies
In recent times, His Holiness Pope Makarious, 114th
successor of St. Mark (circa 1948) reintroduced this beautiful art to
us. They are currently preserved in illuminated manuscripts in the Patriarchal
library. Originally these crosses were in the St. Pishoy monastery library
(Wadi El Natron, Egypt), as His Holiness was a monk there before his enthronement.
More recently, Fr. Angellos El Maraggi (His Grace Metropolitan
Maximos of Benha Memory) further perpetuated the flourishing of this art.
He learned the art well and tought it to many more monks.
We have found that our Coptic communities outside Egypt
have various services in print; magazines, leaflets, pamphlets, etc to
serve their flock. Unfortunately, these have all taken an appearance that
is not Coptic. We have posted these pictures to be used by all who would
like to adorn their pages with this rich Coptic heritage. We invite all
our churches and those who print any Coptic material to feel free to download
these crosses and borders onto their pages.
We ask that the Lord help us to further establish this
art through the medium of the internet. Our one request is that you pray
for the peace and prosperity of our one Holy, Universal Apostolic Coptic
Orthodox Church. We pray that all may benefit through the intercession
of our Holy Mother and Theotokos St. Mary and with the prayers of His
Holiness Pope Shenouda III and the prayers of the church Fathers.